HOWTOs for Portage
Portage is a package management system used by Gentoo Linux. Gentoo is sometimes referred to as a meta-distribution due to the extreme flexibility of Portage, which even makes it operating-system-independent. Sabayon Linux is based on Gentoo, but is a bit different in a few ways. Portage is not the default package manager for Sabayon and should only be used by those that are highly experienced with Gentoo. Sabayon Linux Entropy Server uses Portage to bring you the binary packages, making your life much simpler.
This page is to separate Portage HowTo articles from Entropy HowTo articles. If you have a HowTo article for Portage, please add it here.
- 1 HowTos
Portage errors, blocks, output problems
"USE-flag vdpau" blocks VLC media player
NVidia blocks Chromium
Users with NVidia-drivers installed, who wants to emerge/upgrade chromium, will notice that the package prevents chromium
for being emerged. This is because the "tcmalloc USE-flag" is enabled on chromium.
So, to solve, or bypass this., edit:
scroll down to the www-client/chromium entry, and add the -tcmalloc USE-flag
THEN just emerge the package as you normally would do.
- HOWTO: Realtek 8187b Wireless Networking
- HOWTO: Belkin wireless g usb network adapter F5D7050
- HOWTO: Install FrostWire
- Creative XFi titanium driver fix
- HOWTO: Install Packages on Sabayon / The Complete Portage Guide
- HOWTO: Safely mix Entropy and Portage
- HOWTO: Switch from Test to Stable Packages
- HOWTO: Example of Installing 3rd Party Ebuilds