En:HOWTO: Create A Desktop Background Wallpaper changer For Xfce
Creating the list of images
1. Right-click on your desktop.
2. Select Desktop settings.
3. Make sure that the Allow Xfce to manage the desktop and Show Image boxes are checked (they are by default).
4. Click then on New list.
5. Add the image files by clicking on the +
6. Once you are done, save the list.
7. You are back in the previous screen and your newly created list should be selected in the File input box.
8. Then close that interface.
Creating the cron file for the wallpaper changer functionality
1. Open a terminal.
2. As root type:
gpasswd -a username crontab
3. Log out and then back on.
4. Next type:
5. Paste :
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * killall -USR1 xfdesktop
6. Then save file.
7. Next type:
8. And everything should be working and your background should change every 5 minutes.:)
Removing The Cron Job
1. If you ever feel the need to remove this feature and go back to a single desktop image simple go to terminal and as root type:
2. Right-click on your desktop.
3. Select Desktop settings.
4. Click the folder icon to the right of File.
5. Now point to the desktop image you would like.
Credit For This HOWTO
This is a modification of a howto from http://www.howtoforge.com/xfce_desktop_background_wallpaper_changer just made some changes to work better with sabayon.